The US has a food system in place that is controlled by large corporations that pay the FDA to approve ingredients and drugs that are harmful & deadly to people. We all know this. Most of our drugs & ingredients are highly banned in other countries. Another known fact. How do we sort all of the information & make smart choices for our family? Start with the basics and cut out ingredients one at a time. Here is a great list to help you start.
1) MSG. MSG has been widely known to be added to Chinese food but the reality is, it is simply in many of our packaged foods, and in the majority of restaurants due to the nature of large food suppliers. All of the pizza chains, fast food establishments, & restaurants that get packaged food delivered will probably contain MSG. How do they get away without labeling? There is a loophole in FDA requirements (surprise) that allows MSG to be ‘hidden’ inside other forms of free glutamic acid, and therefore does not have to be labeled.
MSG’s are typically labeled as: Autolyzed yeast extract, textured & hydrolyzed proteins, hydrolyzed corn, modified starches, natural flavors & disodium inosinate or disodium guanylate.
MSG is an excitotoxin. This means that it actually tricks your mind into believing that you want to eat more, and that there is more protein in the food than there actually is. Your mind tells your body that it wants more and becomes addicted to this feeling.
Bottom line? MSG is linked to learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Lou Gehrig’s, various cancer growths, it interrupts the hormonal & biological development of children, causes chest pains, heart palpitations, & headaches, & can cause various behavioral issues. It’s deadly.
2) Artificial flavors, sweeteners, & colors. These are really 3 separate, truly harmful ingredients, but I will group them together due to name. More than 3,000 food aditives & preservatives, flavorings, & colors are added to US foods every year. Many of them are grouped in this category.
Artificial sweeteners are excitotoxins, just like MSG’s. They trick your brain into wanting more, which is why American’s are so fat. They cause headaches, dizziness, & memory loss.
Artificial flavors is a blanket terms used by manufacturers that actually could mean up to 100 different chemical additives. All bad and all effect brain health, allergic reactions, & various behavioral reactions.
Artificial colors refers to mostly 9 different varieties that are added in many of our foods for visual appeal. Every year, 15 million pounds of artificial dyes are poured into US foods causing cancers, allergies, hyperactivity, tumors, & more.
3) Synthetic Trans Fats. These are common in almost all packaged crackers, cereals, chips, store bought baked goods, & fried foods. Linked to cancer, diabetes, decreased immune function, heart disease and more. It is basically any ‘partially hydrogenated vegetable oil’ so avoid that ingredient always. It can also be labeled as ‘DATEM.’
4) Preservatives. Our country is reliant on preservatives since most of our food is not available to the consumer for months or years after it is picked or grown. Preservatives lengthen the shelf life and include the following: BHA, BHT, TBHQ, sodium benzoate, sodium nitrite, potassium sorbate, & sulfites. These are ingredients found in soft drinks, fruit juices, salad dressings, hot dogs, deli meats, bacon, the list is endless. If it is on the shelf, and is a product that should be served fresh, it likely contains some type of preservative.
5) High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is not a healthy ingredient, despite the name fructose. Fructose is metabolized by your liver and the body does not contain a ‘shut off’ valve for fructose like it does for regular sugar. Your body wants more, and doesn’t feel satisfied.
HFCS is linked to obesity, insulin resistance, increased belly fat, & heart disease.
If you look at your pantry and feel overwhelmed, don’t! There is hope. Start eliminating these packaged foods one by one and purchase from manufacturers who are not totally bought by the FDA. There are MANY food producers that produce healthy food not loaded down with the above. For one list, check out this GMO-free product list http://gmo-awareness.com/shopping-list/gmo-free-brands/.
Start eating healthy & disease free today and JUST SAY NO to the food manufacturers getting rich off of feeding you disease!